The minimal, understated catification of a pair of throw pillows will add a chic dose of catitude to your interior design. We suggest choosing pillows in black, very dark green, or a neutral like ecru or cognac to keep it simple and classic. Then just follow this simple DIY—only basic sewing skills are required—to transform the pillows from boring to subtley cat-tastic
What You’ll Need to Make 1 Pillow
- 1 throw pillow in your desired shade and size
- Hand-sewing needles
- Thread that contrasts with the colour of your pillow
- 1 small black or brown button (we suggest ½ inch; this will be the “nose”)
- 2 black, brown or crystal buttons (these will be the “eyes”)
- Black, tan or white embroidery floss (this will form the “whiskers”)
Thread a long needle with the thread and sew the “nose” button to the center of the pillow. Sew the other two buttons above the nose to make the eyes. Thread an embroidery needle with two strands of floss. To make the whiskers, make a small stitch on one side of the nose. Tie off and trim thread ends to 2 or 3 inches long. Repeat several times on each side of the nose to make more whiskers. And that’s it—you’ve just made yourself a cat-tastic throw pillow!
Not crafty? Check out these home decor options in the Modern Cat e-store!