Realize those #RelationshipGoals this Valentine’s day: ditch the dating apps and adopt a cat! Who knows, you may even meet your human-sweetie at your local animal shelter (because what better way to bond than over your shared love of animal welfare?) Already have a feline companion? Make your cat your Valentine this year! Here’s 12 reasons why this year your Valentine’s Day should be less chocolate and roses, and more adoption and kitty cuddles!
1. Hanging with a cat will give pleasant new meaning to “Netflix and chill.”
2. Your cat’s lasting love will make you never fear being “ghosted” again.
3. Adopting a cat will help you overcome that fear of commitment.
4. You’ll always have someone there to cuddle with in the morning, even before you brush your teeth.
5. Walking a cat on a harness and leash is a guaranteed attention-getter.
6. Chances are your cat will love to spoon and snuggle as much as you do, if not more.
7. Your new companion will give you a valid reason to hang out and meet people at local cat events (check out meetup.com to find cat events near you!)
8. More than 63 percent of people consider pets to be members of the family (according to the AVMA). So no matter what the configuration of a family unit, cats are a perfect source of love and companionship.
9. If you’re not finding true love on Tinder, adopting a cat may be your answer.
10. A cat will help you get accustomed to 24/7 adoration and unconditional love.
11. An adopted cat can help you become less self-centered, as you learn to put another’s needs before your own.
12. If you’re looking for love, but are freaked out by forever, check with a local shelter or rescue to find out about fostering.
If you already own a cat and are thinking of getting another, check out our post on how to tell if your cat needs a friend and how to introduce them!