Bright Idea: DIY Puzzle Toys for Cats
Keep your cat entertained for hours with a Tupperware filled with cat toys and treats. Just cut holes in the lid (be sure to smooth any rough or sharp edges) and voilà, you’ve made your own cat puzzle-toy!
Tips for making the puzzle toy:
- Make sure the materials the container is made from are not too thick or it will be harder to make the holes in the lid.
- Measure out/mark where you want the holes before cutting them.
- Smooth/sand off any rough edges from the holes you have cut to make sure your cat’s paws don’t get scratched or poked.
- Make sure the holes are large enough for your cat’s paw to fit in. (We cut them to about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter)
- For beginners: use some of your cat’s favourite toys and treats to encourage them to dig/seek/actually use the puzzle. Be sure to choose some toys or treats that are easy for your cat to remove from the puzzle.
To challenge your cat: use toys or treats that are harder to remove.