Make Your Cat a Costume
Enliven a Sunday afternoon with this easy-to-make petaled cat collar!
Enliven a Sunday afternoon with this easy-to-make petaled cat collar created by the master crafters at Martha Stewart. It’s the perfect Hallowe’en get-up for your resident four-legged trick-or-treat enthusiast.
Tools and Materials
- Petal Template or Sunflower Template. Download the templates here
- Grosgrain ribbon (or use a cat collar instead of ribbon)
- One or two 18-by-18-inch squares wool felt in the colour of your choice
- Sewing machine and sewing supplies
- Velcro fasteners
1. Cut ribbon to fit loosely around your cat’s neck, with ends overlapping one inch. Forgo this step if you’re using a cat collar instead of ribbon.
2. Print petal template or sunflower template. Trace the shape on the felt and cut out petals. Fold them in half lengthwise and stitch close to the fold, from the flat end to 2/3 of the way up; this will give the petals dimension. Stitch the petals to the ribbon or collar, overlapping them by almost half. Add Velcro fasteners at the ends of the ribbon. (Velcro is unnecessary if using a cat collar.) And voila! an adorable costume befitting the ray of sunshine in your life.
Get your craft on!
This article originally appeared on marthastewart.com/pets. For more cool craft projects like this one, head to their website!