This Happy Cat Cake is Almost Too Cute to Eat!
Create an adorable cat-themed cake for your next fête. Here’s the how-to.
- Your favourite 8” round cake—store-bought or homemade, no judgement
- Buttercream Icing (recipe below)
- Piping Bag with 1M star decorating tip
- 3 oz chocolate, melted or black
- Parchment paper for chocolate (skip this if using licorice)
- Small re-sealable plastic bag for chocolate (skip this if using licorice)
- 1 pink jellybean for nose
- 2 pink cardboard triangles
The Decorating How-to
Spread about 3/4 cup buttercream icing onto your cake until the cake is completely coated in a thin layer. Scoop the remaining icing into a piping bag fitted with the star tip. Working in rings, pipe small star shapes around the top, followed by the edge and sides of the cake until all you can see are stars.
If using chocolate to form the face, lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet or chopping board. Spoon melted chocolate into a small re-sealable bag and snip a corner. Pipe shapes for two eyebrows, six whiskers, and mouth. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes, or until firm. With a long and thin metal spatula or blunt knife, lift chocolate shapes and place on side of cake to form the happy cat face.
Alternatively (and easier), cut licorice strips into shapes to form the cat face.
Add the jellybean for nose and nestle cardboard triangles into frosting on top of the cake to create the ears. Invite your cat-loving friends over to enjoy a slice!
Buttercream Icing Recipe
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 Tbsp milk, to thin the icing
- 2 Tsp vanilla
Beat butter in an electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a wooden spoon) until smooth. Add 3 cups icing sugar, one cup at a time, and mix until it has a smooth and velvety consistency. If icing is too thin, slowly add remaining cup of sugar. If the icing is too thick, add milk by the tablespoon until the mixture is easy to pipe.
For people, not cats, this cake is a made-for-Instagram photo opp. Tag @modern_cat_mag in your pics!