Best Cat Food for Your Cat
Our Top Pick: Eagle Pack & Holistic Holistic Select Natural Wet Grain Free Canned Cat Food Chicken Pâté
- High-quality pate with chicken, chicken liver, chicken broth and turkey as the first four ingredients
- Contains no wheat, soy, corn or artificial flavors or preservatives
- Made in North America and is good for both cats and kittens
The Holistic Select Feline Grain-Free is our choice for best cat food because it’s a healthy formula that’s full of protein and is great for cats of all ages, including kittens. Made without grain or common allergens such as soy and corn, this wet food is ideal for cats with sensitivities. Another great feature of this wet food (and wet cat food overall) is that cats have a low thirst drive, so this is a great way to ensure your cat stays hydrated.
The brand overall states its focus as caring for your cat’s entire body, starting with the digestive system.
The Best Dry Cat Food: Purina Beyond Grain Free, Natural, Adult Dry Cat Food
- Grain free, with real ocean whitefish as the first ingredient
- Made without corn, wheat, soy or artificial colors or preservatives
- The dry food is produced at in-house facilities and formulas created by nutritionists.
This dry cat food was chosen because of the lack of grains, and primary ingredients being fish and chicken. Cats are carnivores, so it’s especially important to ensure they’re getting enough animal-based protein to sustain them, and Purina’s Beyond food fits that need. The other main consideration is that this dry cat food contains no grains or soy, which cats can be sensitive to.
The kibble can be larger than other companies, so be cautious if you have a small cat or when you’re initially letting your cat try the food. The other grain-free flavor is White Meat Chicken.
$32 for an 11lb bag
The Best Wet Cat Food: Sheba Perfect Portions Pate Wet Cat Food Trays
- Super convenient packaging with one serving per container
- All include real protein, plus vitamins and minerals
- Variety of flavors, including beef, chicken, chicken & liver, chicken & tuna, turkey, or poultry
Sheba has made a great option for people who want to serve their cat’s healthy wet food without the messy cleanup. Each package is easy to open and pre-portioned for a single serving, so there’s no leftovers and less chance any extra food gets wasted or goes bad. These pates are made without grain, corn, soy or wheat as well which is great for cats with sensitivities!
While they’re a bit pricier than most dry cat foods, wet food can also easily be mixed into dry for added nutrition. If you have an older cat who needs an appetite boost or need an option for cats with any oral discomforts, try this wet food.
The Best Kitten Food: Instinct Original Kitten Grain Free Recipe with Real Chicken Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety
- Made of cage-free chicken, vegetables, fruits, and nutritious oils
- 0% Grain, corn, wheat, soy or potato
- Each piece of kibble has a freeze-dried raw coating on it for extra nutrition and delicious taste
Buying kitten food is an important decision and it’s essential to choose a kitty food with a lot of protein and nutrition for healthy growth. We chose Nature’s Variety’s Kitten food because chicken is the #1 ingredients and this formula has cut out ingredients that are typical for pet intolerances such as grain, soy, and wheat. You can either feed this kibble dry to kittens if they’re old enough to eat it straight, mix some dry kibble with a portion of wet food or mix the dry kibble with water to soften the bites.
Since the kibble is coated in freeze-dried raw, make sure you wash your hands after handling to ensure cleanliness.
$24 for a 4.5lb bag
The Best Affordable Cat Food: Rachael Ray Nutrish Indoor Complete Natural Dry Cat Food, Chicken With Lentils & Salmon Recipe
- Number one ingredient is real chicken plus real salmon
- Includes lentils, blueberries, cranberries, and pumpkin for fiber and antioxidants
- Does contain gluten and corn. Does not list soy as an ingredient.
This cat food was chosen as the best affordable option because while it does contain gluten and corn, the main ingredient is still chicken and the overall mix of ingredients contain a good combination of nutrients that help keep cats healthy. If your cat has allergies this might not be the best option, but there were many positive reviews of this dry food helping cat’s with smelly bowel movements and helping to ease cat’s sensitive stomachs.
$19 for a 14lb bag.
What is the best cat food for your cat?