Pumpkin, Your Cat’s Digestive Cure-all
For a healthy cat at the right weight, simply adding a bit of pumpkin to one meal a day (not more than a tablespoon a day) can keep everything moving smoothly
Pumpkin is a miracle worker on a cat’s digestive system. Thanks to its very high fiber content, canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) is a great way to get your cat’s gastrointestinal system moving if he’s a bit stopped up. On the other end of things, if your cat has diarrhea, pumpkin will firm up your cat’s stool—the dietary fiber is very good at absorbing excess water.
It also clears out fur from the digestive tract. When the pumpkin moves through your cat’s GI tract, it sweeps hair along with it, which lowers incidence of hairballs. If that wasn’t enough, pumpkin can also be used as a tool for weight loss. If your cat is overweight, replace 25 percent of her regular food with the same amount of pumpkin; it will leave her feeling just as full, but with far fewer calories consumed.
Ways to Incorporate Pumpkin into Your Cat’s Diet
- Look for high-quality wet cat foods that contain pumpkin
- Mix plain canned pumpkin in with your cat’s wet food
- Freeze tiny individual servings of pumpkin in the freezer and give them as treats
- Fruitables original and weight loss formula supplements are a pet-specific alternative to the regular canned pumpkin that has more vitamins as well as mint to help soothe an upset stomach
- Castor and Pollux’s Natural Ultramix Real Pumpkin Ultrablend is designed for intermittent and supplemental feeding for a healthy digestive system
If you’re looking for a healthy, convenient diet that can provide your cat with all the nutrients they need, check out Nom Nom. They provide balanced, healthy and easy-to-serve meals that cater to your cat’s specific weight and allergy needs. Plus, they ship the pre-packaged meals directly to your door every month so it saves you a ton of prep-time! Get 50% off your first order now!
We only promote the best products for you and your dogs. Some of these products are from our affiliates, which means we may earn a small amount from purchases made. Thank you for your support! All products featured on Modern Cat Magazine.com are independently selected by our editors.